Saturday, June 26, 2010

Six Months Isn't That Long, Right?

Especially for a blog, right? Riiiight. Anyways..

A lot has happened in the last 6 months.

Still doing school through BYU-Idaho online with the Pathway Program. Having fun, making friends, learning, and getting good grades.

I have had two incredibly sad days. January 9th and May 30th.

On January 9th, we had to take Suzy to the vet. We ended up putting her to sleep because she was in so much pain with the arthritis she had in her hips. She couldn't get up on her own anymore and would often go to the bathroom wherever she was laying. This was really a sad day for me. I was crying the entire day and for days afterwards. I still cry sometimes when I think of her too much. She was my baby and she was the reason that I came to love dogs. Before her, I was terrified of even the smallest puppy, like our first dog, Alex; we had him for 2 months before getting Suzy. So just imagine a 9 year old jumping on furniture to get away from a tiny puppy. Anyway, she was my baby girl and I loved her so much.

On May 30th, Alex passed away at 11:30-45ish at night. He had an enlarged heart, but was on meds for it. We thought we would have him for at least another 6 months to a year. Earlier during the day, he had been acting a little wierd, but we thought it was his trick knee. At 11:20, Mom came into my room and said that Alex was having a seizure and we were taking him to the Emergency Vet that is 1/2 a mile away. We were all able to say good-bye to him before we left for the vet. On the way there, during the 5 minute trip, he died in his favorite spot--my dad's arms. His heart apparently just gave out. He was such a sweetheart. He loved everybody and if you ever met him, you would have loved him too. Earlier that afternoon, Preston Amy and Chloe were visiting for our weekly Sunday dinner. Chloe would usually slap at or pull on Alex to pet him. But that day, she was petting him so softly and sweetly. It was interesting to see that; and looking back we think she somehow knew and was trying to be nice to him.

They were both 13 years old. My dad found a chart that more accurately converts dog to human years. In dog years they were in their 80s. They had a great life with us and I know they will be waiting, with Monty, in Heaven for us to arrive.

Moving past my sadness.

In March, I got sick for 3 weeks. No idea what I had. I just know that I had fever, chills, achiness, and wanted to sleep all day long. Even the doctor had no idea what it was.

The first weekend in April, our whole family drove to Yuma to visit Quentin for his birthday. We rented a Suburban; that was one awesome car! It was really nice and had room for all of us tall Fosters. Haha. We drove the three hours to Yuma, saw Quentin, took him out to dinner, and then took him back to the hotel we were staying at to open presents. We also brought him back to the hotel the next morning before we left so that he could go swimming with the boys.

As we were leaving, I noticed a little twinge in my back. The next day, Sunday, I was fine. Same for Monday. Then Tuesday happened. Could. Not. Move. I pulled a muscle or something and had the hardest time trying to sleep, eat, and go potty. It was impossible to walk and to get comfortable sleeping. After about a week of ibuprofin and rest, I went to the doctor and they had me get x-rays and gave me some light painrelievers. After resting for another week and taking meds, I was fine. Haven't hurt since. (Knock on wood!)

In May, I mostly did school work and watched my sweet niece, Chloe. Then in the middle of the month, we found out Mom's youngest brother and his family were going to San Diego on vacation in June. They decided to make a pitstop and visit us. They have never been to our house in the 18 years we've lived here. They spent Saturday afternoon through Monday morning with us. It was great having them here. We got to take them to the Temple on Sunday and take a few pictures. They are such a fun family of 8!

This last month, I have been school-crazy. I got to stress out over a topic for English, learn some more from the Family Proclamation in Family Foundations, and use one of my favorite quotes ever in a paper. The quote by the way is from Legally Blonde: "Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy, happy people don't shoot their husbands. They just don't." Hahahahaha!

After I am done with classes for the summer on July 22, our family (Mom, Dad, Me, and Colin) will be going to Utah for vacation. We are going to see my 84 year old grandpa for a few days. Then Mom and Dad will be going to a Family History/Geneology Conference at BYU. Colin & I will hang out at the hotel and maybe hang out around BYU while they are off learning more about Family History. Then we will spend more time with Grandpa in Salt Lake, and see more family throughout the state. All in 2 weeks. And we're driving up there.

This has been a ridiculously long post, but better long than nothing, right?

Hopefully I will be better at this the rest of the year!

2 comments:

  1. You are a great writer! You stress out over your papers but do a great job on your blog!! I know..."I just don't like choosing my topic" and don't like forced writing! ;-) Nice update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is bailey. i miss u so much! your'e blog is so cute. (i love your dogs' names.)

    ReplyDelete