Thank goodness that it is Election Day!
No more annoying ads, phone calls, signs on the side of the road; people talking, emailing, and putting the signs up in their yards about the props and presidents.
And even better? Like 2 or 3 weeks ago, my family voted together at the dinner table. That means, that we gathered at the table, all of us for the first time-minus Quentin who is in Yuma, and talked about each proposition and question, candidate, judge, etc. And what it would mean for yes or no on each. Then we would each vote according to our own opinions. After we sealed the absentee envelope and signed it, we handed it to Dad, who would mail it on his way to work the next day.
And I am so very happy that we did that and got it over with!
Do you know that I remember that when I was in third grade and just before we went to get our lunch, we got to walk on the stage and vote for our choice of president in a little booth with a piece of paper? That was in 1996. Well, everyone, now 12 years later, Madison got to have the kids vote again. They got to vote for President, a Congressman, and a Proposition. For the last 2 weeks, my mom has been watching the kids at Madison come into the computer lab and take part in the election process. They got to do what their parents did today or maybe, like I did, earlier. And if they are anything like me, maybe years from now, they will remember this.
Also about 2 months ago, Amy, Colin and I were talking about the election and how it was getting dirty and crazy. Amy started to say that she wished that she could vote for Mickey Mouse. And then I asked who would be his VP. Well, that got us started. We ended up creating an entire cabinet for Mickey Mouse, based on cartoon characters! And we had a blast. It was so much fun and it relieved some serious political stress that was building, at least for me. I will post that in another blog, as this one is getting a bit long!
No comments:
Post a Comment