Friday, April 18, 2008

Mom's Ankle

My poor Mommy.

On her way to the car this morning to go to work, she stepped on some uneven concrete and rolled her right ankle. She then fell on her left side. Luckily, she had her cell phone in her pocket and was able to wake me up by calling my phone.

I went outside and helped her get into the house. After changing her clothes (her water bottle top flew open and spilled water all over her,) we got her hobbling into the car and I took her to the Urgent Care. We were there for 20, 25 minutes before getting called back. She got a couple of x-rays done. She fractured her ankle!

So now, she has to wear a walking boot, use crutches, and go to a podiatrist on Tuesday to have him check her out more thoroughly. She'll have to wear the walking boot for 4-6 weeks. The doctor at the Urgent Care wrapped her up pretty well. And the left side, where she fell, is fine except for a few bruises.

She didn't go into work, and was glad because her ankle was killing her and she stayed home, sat on the couch, watched some TV, and played around on the laptop. I gave her some ibuprofin before going to work so that the pain would go at least a little away. Then I had to go pick up Colin from school, take a cake mix to Amy so that she could make Preston's birthday cake for tonight, get lunch for Mom, Colin, and myself, and then go home. After getting home, eating, and resting for 30 minutes, I had to go back to work for the after school cross. All the ladies in the office at work were concerned for my mom, and sent her their wishes. I got home, fixed my mom up with some more water and anything else she needed, and went and took a nap!

Man, I REALLY needed that nap!

I woke up and it was time to celebrate Preston's birthday. We had him open presents (which he loved,) ate some cake, and watched some TV.

While we were watching TV (after presents and cake) Dad decided to go for his 2 hour walk on the treadmill. We could hear him start up the A League of Their Own DVD! I helped Mom get to the bathroom, change her pants into PJs, and get her on her bed. I got her medicine to her and helped her take off her walking boot.

When I took off the walking boot, she had me re-wrap her Ace bandage...

Oh... my... goodness...

There were lines on her foot and leg where the wrap had been. The wrap had been a bit too tight all day! Then I turned her foot a little to see her ankle. WOW! Her ankle was swollen and had a BIG purple bruise on it. Since she couldn't turn her foot to an angle where she could see it better, I got my camera out and took a picture for her. She was shocked. Preston & Colin were shocked too! Amy didn't want to see it. Dad just got done walking, so I'll show him in a bit.

I re-wrapped her ankle and she said that it was perfect! Just enough pressure to keep it together, but not too tight. Well, I should hope so! I have had enough practice with those dang Ace bandages!!!! I used to play with them when I was like 8 or 10, and I have hurt myself enough that I know exactly how to put it on without hurting or being too tight.

So now Mommy is resting and should be going to sleep soon. Poor thing... This really sucks for her.

P.S. If enough people want to see the picture of her ankle, I will post it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. oh man~! so sorry she fractured her ankle! she's lucky to have you as a great nurse, though.
    take care. i'll take a look at the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete