Thursday, September 11, 2008

August Books Read & Nando's Yummy Food

Yikes! I just realized that I never posted the books that I read in August. So I guess it is time for that. But, before I get to that, I want to talk about dinner. My family went to Nando's Mexican Cafe for dinner tonight to help support the Save Our Science Camp fundraiser dinner that Madison Elementary was holding. The cost for science camp has increased this year and with some of the low-income families in the school, the only way the kids can go is through fundraisers. Nando's is on the SW corner of Val Vista and Baseline; they are also opening another location up in Las Sendas! Now onto the food. Oh my gosh. It was soooo good. And there was so much of it, that I was only able to eat only about 1/4 of it.

I got the Faja Pasta with chicken, without the jalapenos on top. From the menu: Faja Pasta Mexico and Italy unite for this one... your choice of grilled chicken, steak, or pork sauteed with a spicy chipotle cream sauce, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and fresh jalapenos served on a bed of fettuccine. Served with jalapeno cheese toast.

And earlier today, the school had ordered a small party platter for the office for lunch. I was able to snag a mini beef chimi on my out after clocking out. It was so good that I was practically begging Mom to convince Dad to take us to dinner there tonight. I would have gone back and taken a couple more chimis from the office if I hadn't had to get to Institute right away.

And now for the August Books Read List.


8*4*08.....Rumors by: Anna Godberson (the 2nd book in the Luxe series)

8*5*08.....Poison Ink by: Christopher Golden

8*8*08.....Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To-Do List by: Janette Rallison

8*10*08...The Crimson Thread: a Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin by: Suzanne Weyn

8*12*08...Generation Dead by: Daniel Waters

8*17*08...La Petite Four by: Regina Scott

8*21*08...Enthusiasm by: Polly Shulman

8*22*08...Manderley Prep: a BFF novel by: Carol Culver

8*23*08...Rich Girl: a BFF novel by: Carol Culver

8*24*08...The Guy Next Door: a BFF novel by: Carol Culver

8*28*08...Into the Wild by: Sarah Beth Durst

Rumors was a great book, but I was a little bit upset with the end. The author didn't exactly end it the way that I would have liked, but that's how it goes sometimes. Hopefully she will fix things in the next book, Envy. Unfortunately, the book doesn't come out until next year.

The Crimson Thread is among the Once Upon a Time series that I love. They retell the classic fairy tales. The author did a great job with this book and I loved it. I would love to own this book and the others in the series that I do not already own.

Generation Dead is about a bunch of high school kids. Some of them died and did not stay dead. Even though the premise is totally off-the-wall, I enjoyed the book and look forward to the sequel.

Enthusiasm is about two best friends. One of them goes through phases of deep enthusiasm for just about anything you can think of. When her latest phase is her best friend's sort-of-secret love of Jane Austen books, things get a little crazy. This book was good. I would have liked a little bit more at the end, but it was okay.

Into the Wild is amazing. Rapunzel and a bunch of other fairy tale characters have escaped the Wild, where their stories are created and repeated over and over again. Rapunzel has a daughter, under whose bed the Wild is kept. But, when a wish is made, the Wild is released and is taking over. Characters and ordinary citizens are pulled into stories and it is up to Rapunzel's daughter to defeat the Wild. This book was just incredible. I loved the adventure and fairy tale aspects. There is a sequel called Out of the Wild, which is in my reading pile right now!

I didn't get to read as many books in August as I would have liked, but I was a little busy. There was this little thing going on called THE OLYMPICS!! I was watching practically 24/7. And then once those were over, I started going to MCC and Institute. So, now September's books read probably won't be as big as the others either, as I will be busy with classes. I am trying to get through my big old pile of books that I borrowed from the library. Really, I am. It's just there is a lot of them (26 right now) and with work and school, it's a little hard to read as much as I would like to.

2 comments:

  1. We read completely different books, you and I. This is good because now I have your mini-reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! You're the second place winner of Name that Chocolate Dessert on The Chocolistas. Please Email your mailing address to david_colleen (@) mei (dot) net so we can get your prize out to you. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete